Pages

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Second Life. The Great Escape

Aww, Second Life. Two months ago, I didn't take the game too serious and actually thought that people were a little bit nuts for taking it so serious, but now I see why. I see how you could get trapped into playing virtual games for hours. Admittedly, I spent hours just trying to get dressed, but once I figured out the mechanics of the game, it became mesmerising!

I'm beginning to think that Second Life is a place that people go to escape their real life. And by people, I'm including myself. You may disagree, but I do believe that playing make believe is the best way to escape the normal, mundane, boring, hectic, day-to-day.

Yes. It's fun to play video games. Yes. It's fun to lay out in the sun and read a tawdry novel from cover-to-cover, and yes, it's fun to pretend to be a great baseball player even though you know in real life you're uncordinated, outta shape and lazy. But let's be honest, isn't that better than paying bills, doing homework or listening to your significant other bitch about their day at work?

I mean think about it, if while playing one of these games or reading a great book, if someone called you up and invited you to hang out, wouldn't you rather do that? Wouldn't you rather hang around real people and do real things? I would. But still, I see how you can get lost. Being lost in the world of make believe can be so much fun. It's like being a kid again. And the cool thing about Second Life is that it looks so freakin' real! But I'm determined to not become so addicted that I forget to pay my bills and do my homework.

Well, I'm off to Second Life's Miami Spring Break.

Stay Tuned.

3 comments:

  1. second life and the people in it scare me. How people can completely disassociate themselves with the real world and reality and yet function so perfectly in a made up society seems a little rediculous to me

    ReplyDelete
  2. But is it really that different from escaping into a good novel or a movie or watching TV, I wonder? What's the difference? Oh, and by the way--have virtual fun in Miami! (Does virtual fun feel as good as real fun?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roofing services in NJ IN TIMES OF ROOF TROUBLE, EXPERIENCE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE! We understand how stressful dealing with roof damage can be that is why our Roof Leak Repair technicians are extensively trained.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...