Pages

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Wanna Be a Rock Star? Lip dubbing

Okay, let me say that trying to keep up with new new media is crazy! Every time I think I know it all, I discover something, well, new. Did you know that you can make your own music videos? More importantly, did you know that you can make those music videos and put your lip syncing talents to good use?


On December 14, 2006, the founder of Vimeo, Jakob Lodwick, coined the term "lip dubbing" in a video entitled Lip Dubbing: Endless Dream. In the video's description, he wrote, "I walked around with a song playing in my headphones, and recorded myself singing. When I got home I opened it in iMovie and added an MP3 of the actual song, and synchronized it with my video. Is there a name for this? If not, I suggest 'lip dubbing'."


Yes. It's that easy. Finally. We can all be rock stars! The cool thing about 'lip dubbing" is that you can film solo, or you can get a group of friends together and make a big production. Just take one of your favorite songs, film yourself, then dub over it in post editing with the original audio of the song and voilĂ !


"It’s kind of the bridge between amateur video and actual music videos," Lodwick says.


Here's a clip of my favorite. A video shot by a video production class at Shorecrest High School in Shoreline, Washington that went viral, drawing more than 10,000 page views on YouTube. The class made a video to one of my favorite songs, Outkast's "Hey Ya."





To read more of the Shoreline students story, click here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...