Pages

Monday, January 24, 2011

New Media. Are we all addicted?

The other day, I left my house without my cell phone. Ahem. Excuse me. My Droid, and I almost had a heart attack. No. Really. I clutched my chest. I didn't know what to do. As I made my way down the highway, I seriously contemplated turning around and being late to work, just to retrieve my baby. My mind raced. The only thing I could think about was what I'd be missing out on.


How was I going to check my email? How would I be able to change my Facebook status? And more importantly, how could I make it through the day without celebrity gossip? Is Beyonce pregnant or not? Will Brad and Angelina adopt another child? These are all important things!


I held onto the steering wheel. My palms began to sweat. How could I survive one full day at work without my Droid? Forget work. Who works at work anymore? I know I'm not the only one that has hide in a corner to text my friends. Heck. I know I'm not the only one who has taken an extra long "bathroom break" just to read my friend's statuses on Facebook and Twitter.


"Sorry, boss. It must have been the beans from the taco I had for lunch."


I'm insane! Obsessed! Addicted!


This new new media has made me a crazy person. I love knowing that I am always connected. Work is tolerable if I can Facebook my friends and tell them that I'm having a crappy day. Life is never boring if I can play Angry Birds on my lunch break. Hey. I can even watch the news if I want. New new media is my new bff.


So, I ask the question. In a world of iPhones, BlackBerrys, laptops, Twitter, Facebook and podcasts, is new new media an addiction? Can you live without your cell phone? Do you visit your favorite sites everyday? Can you leave the house without your gadgets?


I bet you're wondering if I went back to get my Droid. Well, I'm not telling.

2 comments:

  1. Great post! Love the story. You play Angry Birds, hmh? And yes, it's all an addiction. Oh but not for me--I can stop whenever I want to ;^) I just never want to! And I am like you--if I get too far from my online life I start to go into withdrawal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol!!!!! I don't even know what angry birds is!! I must be out of the loop! I've been here too! Good thing my phone is needed for work so I don't have to use the bean story to be late. I save that one for a sick day! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...